1. Never eat something just because you want to finish it. Only eat until you are satisfied. Those extra bites add up.
2. Don't let emotions take over. Only eat out of hunger. Stop yourself once you start eating if you know it's for the wrong reasons.
3. If you catch yourself in a binge, stop as soon as you regain control. Don't convince yourself that you only screwed up, so you should just screw up some more.
4. Every calorie counts. Remove calories in recipe every chance you get. Choose the diet or low cal version when given the choice. Drink water instead of other beverages. Use zero-cal sweetener.
5. Get rid of the fear of wasting food. The sooner you change yourself, the better. Leave a bite at first and pretty soon you will throw away food without any thought.
6. Eat slow. It makes you think and appreciate each bite. Savor the flavors. Also, when everyone is finished and your half done, you can leave the table with everyone else, eating half the food.
7. Drink water during meals. It curbs hunger, fills you up, aids in digestion, and keeps you hydrated. The best part? Zero calories, no matter where you are.
8. Chew your food more. 30 bites for every mouthful. This helps digestion and also slows your pace of eating.
9. Cut your food into smaller pieces. It slows your eating, makes you feel like you are eating more, and makes other people think you ate more, too.
10. Associate food with something else. For example, associate ice cream with saturated fat, bread with carbs, and juice with sugar. You can also use more concrete things like cake is fat in your thighs.
11. Learn from other people eating. There are always things to learn. Watch skinny people and apply their principles to your own diet. Watch fat people with disgust and basically do the opposite.
12. Decide beforehand how much you are going to eat. It helps to cook for one serving, so you can't eat anymore.
13. Always remind yourself of your goals and rewards. Delay any eating. Tell yourself you can eat after, for example, exercising for 30 minutes. Then, reassess.
14. Don't eat after 7 pm or before 7 am. Chances are, your choices will be very unhealthy like carbs and sugary food. Also, it isn't good to eat within 3 hours of going to sleep at night.